The MCG meets on the last Tuesday of the Month at 7.30pm Monthly Meetings are held in the meeting room behind the Hall Quarterly meetings held in February, May and August also in the meeting room. The AGM is at the November Meeting. No meeting in December.
Matakana Community Group Minutes July 28th 2020 Small Meeting room. 7.30pm
Minutes form last meeting, circulated. Michelle/Sally carried. One action carried forward with Rachel and Rohan to organise the meeting with the other community groups re drought response and sustainable water supplies. Financial reports, circulated, Trish/Neville carried. Rachel and Liz to sign the MCG Financial reports to be submitted to the Charities Commission. Done.
1) PEST CONTROL a) Pest Free Matakana. Ngaire Wallen has drawn up a map of Matakana Village with a number of grouped trap lines for pest control. Especially for stoat traps along the river. It was noted that there are large numbers of possums present at the moment. A meeting of the volunteers is planned for Thursday 6th August at 4pm in the Matakana Market Kitchen. The MCG pledged $5000 towards traps. MWBs is happy to donate materials for making traps. However, the most important thing will be to get individuals on board who will monitor these traps for the foreseeable future. It’s a long term commitment. Auckland Council has just had a blitz on pests recently using a professional pest controller. They worked through the Dome Valley, Matakana Valley Road (West), Smith Road, Govan Wilson Road and the Takatu Peninsular.
b) The Forest Bridge Trust (Marguerite) are collaborating in a trapping programme with a number of other groups, their aim to create a pest free corridor from the West to the East Coast (Tauwharanui Peninsular) They are working in conjunction with Tamahunga Trappers, Wharahines at their quarry sites around Mount Tamahunga to target bush blocks. Also working with FOAM to set trap lines along the rivers. Marguerite will be one of our speakers at our Quarterly Meeting in August. 2) FOAM (Friends of Awa Matakanakana) (Michellle and Martin) This group was set up to monitor and protect the whole of the local river catchment area of the Glen Eden River and the Matakana River, with the mission to reduce sediment run off into Sandspit Harbour and to monitor and improve water quality along the extent of the rivers. They are also setting up a photographic record of the fluvial geomorphology along the river. FOAM will also do a presentation at the MCG Quarterly Meeting and provide the MCG with links more information about their work and progress. Proposal: That the MCG become an organisational member of FOAM ($30/annum) Liz/Trish carried. Rachel has submitted the paperwork.
3) JUBILEE PARK PLANTING Sunday 23rd August from 10am – Event to be combined with the Pot-luck lunch The Council are providing native plants for more planting along the river in Jubilee Park. Neville to confirm the proposed date. All to publicise to ensure we get a good turnout of volunteers.
4) The MWBs Fabric Rescue at the Hall on 26th July was very successful and raised $1,800 towards further fabric rescue initiatives.
5) HALL The 3 main projects that the Hall committee are focusing on are: A) Putting an additional water tank in place and reorganizing the down pipes from the hall roof to catch the water from the whole roof. B) Painting the outside of the Hall C) Refurbishing the kitchen.
6) COMMUNITY GARDEN all going well.
7) MWBs are starting a composting project at Lawrie Road to compost PLAs form the Market and food outlets in the Village. The guess the weight of the giant pumpkins competition helped raised funds to get this going.
8) THE DAFFODIL VINTAGE CAR RALLY is going to move its base from Warkworth to Matakana this year. Rachel is meeting up with organisers to discuss parking etc around the Village.
Meeting closed 9pm Next meeting Quarterly Meeting August 25th 2020 from 7pm in the Small Meeting room.
If you need someone to babysit to attend the MCG meeting
My name is Julie Atkinson, I run Matakids at the Primary school. If you have any members that can't make your meeting because of lack of childcare I would like to offer my services so more people can come along to your meetings. They will need to book their children in with me on 022 3505 687 or email@example.com A Gold coin donation would be appreciated. Any questions please let me know. Cheers Julie Matakids