If you need someone to babysit to attend the MCG meeting
My name is Julie Atkinson, I run Matakids at the Primary school. If you have any members that can't make your meeting because of lack of childcare I would like to offer my services so more people can come along to your meetings.
They will need to book their children in with me on 022 3505 687 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A Gold coin donation would be appreciated.
Any questions please let me know.
Cheers Julie Matakids
Minutes Matakana Community Group Tuesday July 30th 2019
Meeting held Matakana Hall meeting room, 7.30pm
Present: Simon, Liz, Fi, Beth Houlbrooke,, Rachel Demler, Janis, Rohan, Birgit, Robin, Jenni, Sally, Scott
Appologies: Trish, Clyde and Ferida, Neville
Minutes : Posted, circulated. No matters arising, carried.
Financial Statement: Annual report for the Charities Commission. Discussed. Simon/Fi Carried Signed off by Simon.
Fi can now finish the MCG annual report.
1. The School Carpark surface has been repaired by Wharahines. There still requires a small amount of work to be done to prevent water pooling in heavy rain.
2. Worksafe and Roading projects. Not much progress this month with roading projects which is frustrating but Simon will keep in contact with Beth to push projects forward.
3.Community Library/ Book Exchange. Still looking for a suitable place for it to be installed in the Village that is under cover and accessible. The Op-shop was not prepared to host it for security reasons.
4.Concreting Cycle Way (Scott) There is funding available to resurface the cycleway but there needs to be an updated cost analysis presented to the MCG for approval.
5.The Matakana Valley Road Upgrade is in progress. Healthy Waters are due to finish their part of the project on August 15th and AT will take over and finish the project from Monday 18th August. The AT work will include working over the day and night to complete the project promptly and to avoid as much disruption to traffic flow as possible. The Night Works Manager is taking into account the needs of business, eg JinJin for evening access.
6.Jubilee Park. Simon is in ongoing discussion with Alexander Longuet-Higgins of the Pony Club to come up with a plan to better utilize parts of Jubilee Park with shared parking areas for the PC and the Tennis Club taking into consideration the needs of the two groups and the conditions of the PC lease. They would like to get permission from the landowner (AC) through the RLB to make appropriate changes for shared use. The pony stalls could be moved and drainage work needs to done for year round use of the whole area. Car parking and horse float parking areas are still under consideration.
RBL is reviewing its Local Park Strategy Plan for all of Rodney’s Parks so a submission needs to made so that AC can decide on a balance of use taking into account particular local requirements.
7. The Wharf Pathway. Ivan is keen to extend the existing path and Clyde and Ferida have offered to restore the part of the path on their land around the river bank to allow access under the bridge.There is a plan in place but the project would need funding.
8.Marhurangi Waste Busters. The Transfer Stations at Lawrie Road and Rusty Brook have now been opened to the public (from 18th July). There have been a few teething problems, as would be expected, but things are running pretty smoothly. New ideas will be introduced over the next few months.The Community Gardeners have been helping to make the sites more visually appealing by doing new plantings and removing dead trees etc.
There are educational initiatives in the pipe line which can be introduced later.
9.Fundraising There was a general callout in the latest Newsletter for MCG members to make regular contributions and Simon has approached several businesses in the village, again for them to make regular contributions to the MCG. The response, so far, has been positive.
10.New School Crossing. There has been good community support for the new traffic light controlled crossing that is to be constructed by AT outside the school. This will make an enormous difference both for the safety of the Primary School children and those older students from Mahurangi College after they’ve been dropped off by the school bus.
11.Community Garden (Robin)The Community garden is looking good with plenty of people turning up which is great. The CGs are doing the beautification plantings at Lawrie Road.
12.Community Lunches (Janis ) The Pot Luck lunch in the Hall was a success.Janis is organizing a once a month lunch at local cafes for new residents to meet the locals.
The Community Care Directories are still being assembled.
13.Any Other business (Beth)The RLB has been able to initiate some new projects for Matakana, in paticular the School Crossing and the Matakana Valley Rd upgrade.
They also have $60,000 of funds to allocate for groups wanting to plan Pest Management programs. Pestival was well attended by many groups who are already involved in Pest Eradication in the area. It was a great opportunity for these groups to get together to share their vision and work together. It was generally agreed that targeting rats is the best first step to help NZ wildlife.
Whitmore Road has been sealed to a service level 2 grade which allows the road sealing funds to stretch further being a simpler solution but fit for purpose.
The Dog Control Bylaw has been amended in line with public submissions. Local Board Members were in favour of regional consistency to simplify enforcement but the public wanted more flexibility.
However the Bylaw has been changed to clarify the restricted season which now runs from Labour Weekend to 1st March and from 10am to 5pm within this season.
Traffic Safety Projects The RLB has been allocated funds for Traffic Saftey Projects. All priority projects of the LRB have been approved because they had their submissions ready to go. More projects are needed so they can be prepared for the next funding round.
The right hand turn into the School Carpark, still has to be carried out.
Stronger speed limit enforcement on MVRd. needs to be actioned, especially past Matakana Green. Driver feed back signs could be effective and also the police could be contacted for more input and enforcement including community education. (Mark Stalworthy is a good contact for this)
Bus Stop (Sally) The bus stop outside the School Car park requires some proper road markings and car parking needs to be restricted on that side of the road for the increased safety of those using the bus.
Other Road Safety Issues that have been raised (Simon)
1. The speed of the traffic approaching the one way bridge on Matakana Valley Road, and the condition of the road surface going over the bridge which needs repairing.
2. The speed of traffic coming into the 50 km /hour speed limit area to the north of the village along Matakana Valley Road. Traffic, and especially lorries, do not slow down as the enter the area and almost immediately there is a residential area (Matakana Green) where many children live. There needs to be speed warning signs and a blitz by the police.
3. The area along Matakana road to the west of the proposed site of the new pedestrian crossing. As part of the proposed works AT needs to remove the parking on both sides of the road address the current unsafe bus stop, and create a central lane so that traffic can safely enter into and exit from the new car park
4. Further west, the entry into Tamahunga Road is very dangerous as the traffic speeds down the hill and there is no-where safe to stop when you are coming from the village. There needs to be a roundabout with appropriate signs to slow traffic approaching from Warkworth
Meeting closed 8.30pm
Next meeting August 27th